Call For Legal Consultation: Hauppauge: 631-979-1111|Farmingdale: 516-752-2555

Frequently Asked Questions

How much do you charge for a personal injury case?

For most personal injury claims, our firm charges no fee unless you collect.  We charge a one-third contingency fee when the claims are resolved by settlement verdict or otherwise.  Medical malpractice fees are more complex and mandated by the law of New York to be a certain amount.  We get reimbursed for our expenses out of the award; next we take our one-third fee.

Is there a Personal Injury Attorney in Haupppauge?

McCarthy & Carbone are located in Hauppauge. Call For Consultation.
400 Townline Road
Suite 100
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone: 631-979-1111
Fax: 631-979-3384

Do you advance expenses up front?

Usually, but not always.  Some personal injury claims are not very strong, but we might still be willing to work on a contingency fee basis.  In such claims the client may have to pay the expert expenses.

What are typical expenses in a personal injury lawsuit?

In New York personal injury lawsuits, filling fees usually total less than $500.00.  Deposition transcripts also usually total less than $500.00.  The biggest expense is when a lawsuit goes to trial and we have to pay doctors and other experts to testify.  We have paid anywhere from $2300.00 to $7,500.00 for a doctor’s time, and some doctors may charge more.  Other expenses include process servers, investigations and medical records.  We do our best to limit expenses.  This is particularly important in cases with lower values.

Some cases are more complicated and expenses are higher.  Typical reasons why you might see increased expenses are the need for additional experts, such as for accident reconstruction, or where we need to have more than one doctor testify.

No-Fault insurance pays for various expenses for people injured in New York car accidents.  It applies to the occupants of a car (including pickups, SUVs, and most vehicles, but not to motorcycle drivers or passengers), and also to pedestrians and bicyclists who are hit by a car.

Submit your medical expenses and lost wages to the No-Fault insurance company, which is the insurance company for the car you were in (or the car that hit you if you were a pedestrian or bicyclist).  They should provide you with the necessary paperwork.  We can help you figure out which company to contact.

Make sure your doctors and other health care providers know that your case involves a car accident and that all expenses should be covered by No-Fault.  They will need to know the name of the insurance company along with the policy number and/or claim number.

You should also be able to get paid for certain other expenses, such as if you have to take a taxi to a doctor’s appointment, cost of prescription drugs, even for housework if you hire someone to help you.  If you’re not sure, submit the expense and see if they’ll pay for it.